Home  •  Rally Photos  •  FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Laconia's Death Continues : Rewarding Failure

<<

W.R.

** 500 Club!

Post Tue May 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Laconia's Death Continues : Rewarding Failure

Good afternoon, survivors ! Since it's almost time to descend on the carcass of Laconia Bike Week, I think it's time for my yearly RANT. Any and all who are sick of yours truly and the opinions held by same should prolly mosey along now. On the other hand, my posts sometimes garner ten or fifteen thousand views so maybe a few are still interested :ban_033:

There has been a NEW development from the Laconia Motorcycle Week Association that prompts this missive. They now estimate this year's attendance at 230,000, MUCH closer to reality than in years past. And this brings us to a hard examination of the FACTS now before us. I'll try to be succinct but hey, it IS only once a year :lol:

The Rally Association yearly budget, as reported by The Laconia Sun in 2014, was $432,000. That's a lotta cake. Remember that. #fact

In the media, Charlie St.Clair said that the attendance in 2012 was 330,000. #fact

In the media, The Association states that 2017's attendance will be 230,000+ #fact

So here are THE FACTS. In THEIR OWN WORDS, they have LOST 100,000 {that's ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND} attendees in the last five years ! #fact

In that time, they have SPENT $2,000,000 {that's TWO MILLION DOLLARS} promoting Laconia Bike Week {actually, promoting The Naswa, owned by The Association's President, but that's another issue ...}. #fact

With these #FACTS in evidence, why are Charlie St.Clair, Jennifer Anderson and Cynthia Makris still in charge of Laconia Bike Week ? Could anyone FAIL any MORE ? You couldn't lose a hundred thousand customers FOR FREE ? Do you think it's a coincidence that the resort owned by The Association's President, The Naswa, was mentioned in The Rally News last year SIXTY EIGHT times ? And usually in CAPS and bold print, lol.

With the carcass of Laconia Bike Week upon us, it's time, once and for all, to recognize the utter FAILURE of The Laconia Motorcycle Week Association, it's "President for Life" and his cohorts. With over five years of FAILURE behind us {in THEIR OWN WORDS}, it will not see 100. #NewManagementNow
Last edited by W.R. on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There's more to life than naked girls, rock & roll and debauchery...wait, who am I kidding ??

http://www.facebook.com/paparazziimages
<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Tue May 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: W.R.'s yearly RANT.

Sad but true. I don't understand why "they" don't take a "lesson" from what's happening at other "Rallies" that all seem to be growing. One of the problems is: It's that same old stuff every year. SAME Old Gypsy tour, same old, same old, same old. There's no events like the North American Road Racing Championships that are happening in 9 OTHER states, AMA & FIM sanctioned. New Hampshire has the highest motorcycles ownership per capita in the nation. I guess those people, at least some of them are just "bar-hoppers".
Last year many people complained of the lack of the semi-annual bike week magazine. "They" said ONLY the advertisers got the magazines, which mean there were none at the Hooksett plaza, and other State owned visitor areas, where there "used" to be plenty. I read last years' magazine and there were several advertisements and other mentioned articles that clearly showed the State of N.H. "Advertised" in the magazine, SO, there should be bike week magazines available, especially for the newcomers.
All We Are IS What We Were, tofeather
<<

W.R.

** 500 Club!

Post Tue May 09, 2017 4:28 pm

All true, tofeather. As for The Rally News, if you take out all the Daytona and Sturgis crap {isn't it promoting Laconia ???}, a third of it's gone. And I'm sure you-know-who goes to Sturgis and Daytona on the Association's $$$, which is asinine. How many people at the two biggest rallies need to be told about Laconia ? They've heard all about the rain {and it starts the 10th so there'll be plenty} and they've heard all about the cops so what's left ? And the same clubs with the same bands playing the same songs to the same people ...... W.R.
There's more to life than naked girls, rock & roll and debauchery...wait, who am I kidding ??

<<

southtexas

Post Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm

It's sad to see how far Laconia Bike Week has fallen. Having grown up in Laconia and having watched the bikes roll in back in the late 50's, early 60's, it sad to see it's relative insignificance today. I ride from South Texas to Sturgis every year and rode to Laconia in 2001 and 2005 but the draw is gone. The races on the mountain were a big draw back in the day and the vintage races on the mountain in 2001 and downtown in 2005 were good draws but since then it has dwindled each year. I watch it closely and look for reasons for the long ride but sadly I can't get excited. I ran into St. Clair at the old Landows in 2005, I forget what it is called now, told him I grew up in Laconia, had ridden from the Houston area, was looking forward to a good rally, etc., and all I got was disinterest! I was really disappointed. It was clear he had no interest and wanted to move on. He was there to buy two bottles of water period. I didn't want a medal for the long ride; I just wanted to briefly chat about Laconia Bike Week but he had no interest! If I had ridden from Tilton he should have been interested but showing no interest to an out of state attendee really turned me off. The lack of interest in Laconia, in New Hampshire, and around the country is easy, though to me really sad, to see. It used to be such a great rally and it has so much history. Sad.
<<

W.R.

** 500 Club!

Post Tue May 09, 2017 10:35 pm

That sucks, SouthTexas, but I'm not surprised. Whether it's just a meal ticket or an ego trip, Mr. "Motorcycle Week" has no interest in really saving Bike Week. To be fair, you probably scared the sh*t out him - real bikers {and real rallies} do that to him. Now that he's turned LBW into a family friendly, "G" rated motorcycle theme park, he's probably just lost interest. And now that he has to kill PumpkinFest, there's a lot more work to do, lol.

<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Wed May 10, 2017 9:51 am

Hey there southtexas, I agree it's a shame what's happened to the oldest motorcycle rally. I went out to Sturgis in '09, and met some guys from Colorado and New Mexico that rode up to the rally. We were all camped in the same area and had conversations about the "other" rallies. The guys from N.M. said they had never been to Laconia, but it was on their "Bucket" list. The following year one of them bought a new bike and rode out here, we had stayed in touch so we decided to camp for the week at a campground not too far from the Weirs. We hit all the "race" events except the last one, and went to the Weirs, etc., and he was not that impressed. He enjoyed the scenery as we did a lot of "tours" all around the mountains and the lakes. We did have a good time but probably would have even if it wasn't bike week. It totally surprised me that he came back in 2012. What impressed my friend more than anything was some of the restaurants we had "chow" at, in particular the Circle Diner in Epson. That was the first place he wanted to go. He only had four days to spend here and we put 250-300 miles a day on the bikes. These days it's "All About The Ride".
All We Are IS What We Were, tofeather

Return to Laconia Bike Week