Home  •  Rally Photos  •  FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Project, and Parts

<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Project, and Parts

Hello there all you "Project" Lovers. This is NOT a Harley or an Indian. It is a Yamaha, a 1981 XY750H. This was the first year that a Japanese motorcycle builder made a production V-Twin, and being 35 years old it's also Antique. "They" copied the Vincent style of back-bone frame and single shock rear suspension but added "Air" boost. This project was started for my younger brother, Steve, who never had a motorcycle but always wanted one. He knew I had an '82 XV920 J-VW, so he decided I had some knowledge about those machines, and went and bought the first bike at an auction. It had been stolen and recovered with "parts" missing. Over time more parts were found. When I first saw it, it was missing the left side motor cover and the starter, starter drive, battery and headlight. The next "find" was in pieces and contained even less, but it had the frame, wheels, front end and most of the motor, less carbs and other essentials. He wanted a low bike and took the frame to a bike shop where they cut the neck out to lower it. They also sand blasted it and painted with primer. I found a "Midnight Special" of the same vintage which looked like it had most of the parts missing from the other bike.
In the summer of 2009 I lost my brother to a sudden heart attack. I was told his son had an interest in the "Project" so I gave him the Midnight.
A few weeks ago I get a call from this bike shop in Reading or Wilmington Mass., and the guy wants to know what to do with the frame and the tank that have been there for years. I made some calls and found out my nephew lost interest in the "Project" and I could have :IT". As the shop had some time into it I went to get what was there and pay the long overdue bill. It's taken me some time to "round up" everything so I can turn it over. As I have 3 Yammys, and Sportster and a "Woods" bike I really don't need this "Project".
Therefore it is FOR SALE. I THINK $300.00 Is a fair price, and if someone wants to do a complete, "frame-off" build; chopper, bobber, café or restore to stock, here it is. I know there are still a few missing pieces, but with some horse trading some of the 2nd. and 3rd. parts that are there could bring in what's needed. There is an owner's manual and a shop manual the he also acquired.
Long Story, I know, but there it is. I also have it listed on CL, but thought I'd put it here also.
Happy Trails.
All We Are IS What We Were, tofeather
<<

Germ

***1000 Club!

Post Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:10 am

Re: Project, and Parts

Sounds like another great build. There is a lot of paper work involved getting it transfered to Canada and sometimes a cost involved. Once I get Blaz's project bike over here I"ll have a better idea what is needed and may get yours as well if it's still available. The big issue right now is I'm moving so we are trying to clean up the yard and I don't have a shed at the new place yet.
If it flies, floats or fucks it's cheaper to rent it...
<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:04 pm

OK, Germ. One of these bikes was registered in my name for 2 years and I have the paperwork. New Hampshire doesn't require title to vehicles over 15 years old, and they recently came with a new "Legal" bill of sale form that is recognized in the states that require title. I don't know if that applies in Canada, but I will ask. There's a lot of parts involved in this "Project" which can be sold or traded with other people that are saving/restoring these bikes. Thanx for your interest, I'll keep you informed, Happy Trails.
<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:17 pm

SOLD, SOLD, SOLD. Two guys came out and looked at what was there and bought it on the spot. Hey Germ, I know you had an interest, but you're gonna have your hands full with that bike from Blaz, and building a new house and all that goes with it. I really needed to get it out of here. Maybe you might be able to make it to Bear Bones in mid July, it's in extreme northern Vermont, very close to Canada, eh!

Return to Scoots for sale!!