Home  •  Rally Photos  •  FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

x-90 rider, Mini Drag Bike

<<

x-90 rider

** 500 Club!

Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:35 pm

x-90 rider, Mini Drag Bike

I bought this roller last year from a guy in Texas. We installed a mildly built 6.5HP Honda clone engine. A lot of testing was done the first time out at Ubly Dragway in Michigan. The bike ran true and straight with an old fat guy riding it. It was not very fast down the 1/8 mile track but we were more concerned with safety and learning how to ride the bike. We ran 15 seconds at approximately 40mph and the bike was very consistent.

Last edited by x-90 rider on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Blaz

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:28 am

Re: x-90 rider, Mini Drag Bike

Cool build X90 did you buy the frame and customize it or build from scratch?
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both...
<<

x-90 rider

** 500 Club!

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 am

Blaz wrote:Cool build X90 did you buy the frame and customize it or build from scratch?

The way you see it is how I received it.
<<

x-90 rider

** 500 Club!

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 pm

The next time out was at Milan Dragway in Michigan. This was a dedicated minibike drag racing event. The bike ran consistent during the time trials. We could not get it to run any faster than 15 seconds, even with some gear changes. On the last time trial run it blew the primary clutch. We had a replacement but the engagement rpm was 200 rpm less than the engine idle speed. That made things interesting. I had to hold the brake tight because the bike want to go as soon as we started the engine. After this we kept slowing down on each pass by 1/10 of a second because the belt was burning itself thinner. Overall I was pleased with the bike for the second time out and we finished in 4th place out of 61 bikes.

Now it is time to get ready for the 2018 season. We are switching from a Mild 6.5HP motor to a 13HP engine that we will pump up to 30HP utilizing gasoline.

These are some other changes on my list:
1. I hate the color and it will get changed.
2. The front triple tree stem is bent and the entire front fork needs to get replaced.
3. The footpegs must be cut off and moved back.
4. The twist grip throttle will get replaced with a thumb throttle.
5. The rear tire leaks air at the bead. I need to break it down, clean and reseat the bead.
6. The current gas tank requires a fuel pump. I am not a fan of using a fuel pump so a new gravity feed fuel tank will be fabricated and installed.
7. The Comet torque converter is not made for drag racing. It will be replaces by a Shockwave clutch system.
8. Other items will be changed as things progress.

<<

Blaz

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:54 am

I have seen your work, I have no doubt you will fabricate some cool stuff and get that just the way you want it.
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both...
<<

x-90 rider

** 500 Club!

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 am

Here is the Milan race after we changed clutches. Notice that the bike does not launch correctly.
Our bike is at 0:00, 10:30, 20:14, and 27:45. We lost at 27:45 but notice how the other bike launches and his time. That is where we need to be this season.

<<

Blaz

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Cool!
<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am

Wow, that is very kewl. I never knew they were making drag - mini - bikes. Maybe I should take the 9 hp. motor from my snow blower and install it in my Baha 200, or , even better in the old Toyoco (1973) mini that I never finished.
All We Are IS What We Were, tofeather
<<

x-90 rider

** 500 Club!

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 pm

tofeather wrote:Wow, that is very kewl. I never knew they were making drag - mini - bikes. Maybe I should take the 9 hp. motor from my snow blower and install it in my Baha 200, or , even better in the old Toyoco (1973) mini that I never finished.

Hey tofeather, this racing started in California a few years back and then caught on in Detroit. Detroit has taken it to new levels with covert street racing and sanctioned racing at the drag strips. Also I consider Detroit the minibike capitol of the world. There are more bikes around Detroit than anywhere else in the country. With all of the publicity and youtube videos, minibikes are making a strong comeback. All areas are growing; racing, cruising on the streets, and custom show bikes. $5000 is not an unreasonable price for a custom bike.
<<

tofeather

5,000 Club!

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Nice. I'm still looking for parts for the one I started many years ago. My son decided to clean up and re-organize my garage, and I can't find the axles, chain, gas tank, brakes, and the side cover for the motor with the pull cord. I get a kick out of these people on CL looking for "Free or Cheap" mini bike projects or mo-peds. I ended up getting a BAHA 200 from Tractor Supply for the campgrounds and nearby ATV trails. Ya can't build one $650.00, and I'll probably keep it when, if ever, I get the 73 Toyoco back together.
All We Are IS What We Were, tofeather

Return to Net. Garage Shop Talk.